Thursday, November 16, 2017

El Bohemio Rides to Calatagan

   Why is my blog beginning to look like a travel blog? Haha. So yeah, I've been taking my motorcycle to places again and this time to Calatagan, Batangas! This took place just a few days ago during the recent holiday in view of the ASEAN Summit.

      Actually our original plan is to ride to Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar in Bataan. But we realize it wouldn't be advisable to go North because the ASEAN Summit that will also take place in Pampanga. So I suggested that we go ride to a beach somewhere in the South. My ride-buddy-sistah Sharon suggested that we go beach camping - why not?

     We had Burot Beach in mind but we learned that it is no longer open to the public. We actually decided on Manuel Uy Beach Resort only after passing Nasugbu while taking a break at a gas station.

     We took the long way to Calatagan because we chose the Nasugbu-Ternate Highway just to enjoy the twisties and pass though the Kaybiang Tunnel. So that's nearly 100kms. We left Evia (our assembly point) at around 9 AM and it was supposed to be a 5- to 6-hour (sub 400cc) ride but something unpretty happened. Our friend Jarret overshot a curve in Ternate that gave him a deep wound  above his left ankle. But don't worry folks, he's alright and the bike just had scratches and a broken mirror. Thanks to the personnel from the DENR Mount Palay Field Office whom I asked for help. He radioed for a tricycle to bring him to San Lazaro Hospital in Naic. That's like 19kms away.

    So after the stitches were done and Jarret has a family member coming to pick him up from the hospital, and his bike safely kept at the DENR field office, Shah and I decided to continue our journey to Calatagan. We left Naic around 4PM and got to the beach around 7PM. We chose a spot where we can park our bikes next to our tents that we pitched in the dark hehe. Well it wasn't completey dark - there were LED lamps hanging from cables.

    After dressing down and throwing all my stuff inside my tent I didn't know what to do. We are not really new to camping (though the last time I did this was 17 years ago haha in Anawangin). But this is the very first time we went to a campsite on a motorcycle and that puts a limit to what we can bring - so there's no ice chest filled with beer, soda, and frozen meat hehe. But Shah brought small pans and a camping burner and we enjoyed a dinner of canned sausages, whole wheat pandesal and coffee haha.  What's next? We just sat with our friendly camping neighbors and did small talk over rum and gin until we all got sleepy. I went back to my tent at almost 2AM.

    Next morning I unzipped  my tent and this is what I saw: Blue skies and a calm sea, and a spacious beach  of khaki sand.  Waking up to a view like this is really something else! 

   Shah was still sleeping in her tent so I walked around the beach to take pictures. If you haven't been here, let me show you around with these snapshots.

I didn't get to see a sunset but here's a Calatagan sunrise 
over large fishponds in Manuel Uy Beach.

I can see the island of Mindoro from here.

There are boat tours here. Ambil and Golo Islands are
far from here so I'm guessing these boats will take you
to other beaches in Calatagan.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Landslide - a cover by El Bohemio

   This is something I haven't done in a long while. So here's  a new recording done again with the help of my brother's Avid Recording Studio device. Of course I recorded the video and the audio separately again. Even the vocals and guitar were recorded separately. I'm just not good enough to do all that  in just one take haha!  I added a delayed effect on the vocals and the a flanger effect on the guitar to hide the flaws of my singing and my playing hihihi ! I'm not sure if it worked. My ears are tired already from listening to what I've done if it's any good. My God, I don't even like the cover image!

  But who's demanding for perfection here, right? Hehe. This is really about having fun, doing the things we love, pretending to be some famous rock star. I remember the words of Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters about the "human element" in music making and how today's  music sounded perfect  but lacks personality and...

  Anywaaay, this video isn't a Foo Fighter song hehe. It's a Fleetwood Mac song written in 1975 ( I was born in that year ). But it was only after the year 2000 that I first heard this song and it was a live version. I really think their vocalist Stevie Nicks sounded better there compared to the original 1975 recording, and Lindsey Buckingham's guitar-playing is just amazing!

  I love this song not only because it sounds great but because of its meaning. Nicks wrote this song at a time when she was in Aspen, Colorado, contemplating on going back to school or continue to pursue a career in music with Buckingham, whom she is not in good terms with at that time, and their album had been dropped by Polydor Records. She was looking at the snowy mountains and felt that her life is crashing down like an avalanche. That kind of feeling is something I believe we all can relate to. I felt that many times in my life.

   Landslide was beautifully covered by other artist such as Smashing Pumpkins and Dixie Chicks, also in the TV show Glee. I've read Miley Cyrus, Tori Amos, and Bush did it also. Actually there are a lot more.

  Well I hope you will give my version a listen haha. Please don't bash me hahaha!