Sunday, April 9, 2017

Making A Dreamcatcher Mobile

     Hello again! Let me share to you this project that took ages to complete LOL!  It began December last year when I decided to make use of a bunch of yellow feathers and yarn that was originally for a costume project that didn't push through in 2013.

    So in Divisoria I bought some beads, a roll of ribbon and rattan loops to make dreamcatchers that I intend hang as a mobile in my room.

     It actually took days before I started weaving the "webs",  It was quite easy and fun - therapeutic even. My dreadlock artist also make dreamcatchers and he sells them at his shop. I guess I learned how to do the weaving by just looking at one of his finished pieces  -  following where the string goes. Well I really don't have to teach you how it's done hehe you can always Google for tutorials.

     The first (and the smallest) of 5 pieces was completed after almost 2 months. It took a while before I could find a chord with the right shade of yellow. I even had to to replace the ribbon that is wrapped around the loops. I thought I can never go wrong with the colors by going monochromatic. But because they are all of different materials, the tone and vibrance of golden yellow varies and they seem to compete with each other when put together. I dunno maybe I'm just being OC haha!

       Originally, I had this design in mind for my dreamcatcher mobile. Then I realized  my ceiling is not high enough for this. Also, I will need longer sticks to achieve this balancing effect. So I thought of just hanging all 5 dreamcatchers in one branch that is, at the most, 1 meter long.

     Of course that perfect branch didn't show up sooner. I actually didn't know where to look. So my dreamcatchers just laid around for months while I was working on other stuff - you know, the ones that pay the bills hihi.

          Then last month, while walking around my village I saw a guava tree in a vacant lot. So I hurried home to get a saw hehe. I understand that it will take a year for this branch to be completely dry. But I just let it sit under the sun for a week to somehow get some moisture off.  Anyway,  I wrapped the branch with ribbon and attached "crystal" buds and flowers.

    So here's the finished product (after nearly 5 months), installed above my bed. I hope you like it.  I'll call this piece "New Beginnings". Such is given to us in every golden sunrise.

    Maybe I'll make another one - a big one for the wall that looks more organic, using indigenous materials. But before that, I'll make a green one as requested by a friend. ^_^